Los Conquistadores De Pupusas

We are the conquerors of the tasty pupusas! The rest of you live vicariously through us.

Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Office Hijinks

Howdy y'all. So I'm leaving this morning for a road trip to Coban, which is about halfway between here and the Caribbean coast. We're going to check out a couple potential micro-hydro sites and discuss the possibility of setting up a co-operative company to operate and maintain the power plants. Anyways, I thought I'd share a humorous little anecdote before I left.

On one of our previous site visits, I was driving the AIDG truck out along a pretty rugged dirt road. It was pretty heavy going, but I was having a great time 4-wheelin it through mud, ruts, over rocks... well you get the idea. Apparently though, I was having a bit too good of a time and somehow ripped off one of the plastic fenders on a rock or something.

No biggie though, the truck has taken much more abuse than that during its short and neglected life. Being the upstanding volunteer that I am though, I offered to fix the damage and went out and bought some fiberglass and epoxy. I fixed the fender up and as chance would have it, I happened to have a bit of Loctite high strength epoxy left over. Hmmmm.

Now by this time it was about 5:30 on a Monday afternoon and pretty much everyone was still kicking around the office. Everyone that is except for Steve, aka El Jefe. Yes, the captain of the ship had deserted his crew and unfortunately for him, he chose the wrong day. In my mind there was only one way to sensibly dispose of the extra epoxy...


The epoxy was first applied to the bottom of
a can of Gallo...


Then, after carefully preparing the surface
of course, the beer was firmly glued to
El Jefe's desk.


Meg would have you believe she was innocent
in this whole affair, but just look at those
mischievous eyes.


The task is complete. The plan being that Steve will
come into work the next morning, see the beer,
and try to drink it. Upon attempting to lift the frothy
goodness to his lips, he will be dismayed to find it
securely glued to his desk. Hilarity will surely ensue.
In a stroke of genius, Dan came up with the idea
of gluing a straw to the desk too, increasing the
frustration level of our beloved boss.


Ok, skip to Tuesday morning. El Jefe shows up for work and... well I'll let the next few pictures tell the story.


After cracking the beer and finding it glued
to the desk, Steve is determined to steal the
cheese from the mousetrap. El Jefe is one strong
guy (he used to wrestle in college), so he actually
starts lifting the desk up to tip the beer down
his gullet!


The epoxy held up admirably and Steve got
the beer (and desk) nearly to his lips before it
finally let go. I'll be filing a complaint to Loctite
shortly regarding their epoxy.


The satisfaction of thwarting the beer-trap.
Though there was a small amount of spillage,

this round definitely has to go to El Jefe. Well
done Steve!


Around lunch time, I was getting ready to head home for a siesta, tired out from my late night of gluing and early morning watching Steve struggle with the beer-trap. On my way out, I told Steve I was going home for a nap, and that he'd probably be pleased since I wouldn't be gluing any more objects to his desk for a while. Instead, he was actually disappointed that he wouldn't be getting any more free beers for the day! Don't worry El Jefe, its only a matter of time, only a matter of time...

Dave

1 comment:

what said...

love the blog dave, keep livn the dream!!!!!!

stephen